Monday, June 13, 2011

Yellow Resolve

I had yellow in my serger from the Baby Love outfit in my last post. I was determined not to change serger thread. It's such a pain, and I really think my serger is on its last legs because everytime I have to change something, it throws a hissy fit. The worst is getting it to go from serging to rolled hem and back to serging - it insists on breaking the thread and, on a few occasions, a needle. I think it's gotten lazy in its old age, and just can't be bothered.

Anyway, back to yellow. Not being one of my favorite colors, I just don't have a lot of yellow fabric, but I was still resolutely against the idea of changing to a more practical thread color. So, I dug around in my stash and eventually came up with a striped men's t-shirt, purchased at Goodwill for 50 cents in yellow, grey and blue. Perfect.

When I began to cut the shirt apart for reclaiming, however, I realized a) why it was at Goodwill and b) why it was 50 cents. The sewing was appalling! One side seam was a little bit to the front of the shirt, and one side seam was a little to the back, and both were sewn at a slight diagonal to the stripes. I probably could not mess up a shirt that badly if I tried. This made cutting it out very difficult, and I had to take some liberties with the pattern's width. I would certainly have expected more from the OP brand, but whatever. I made it work.

As for embroidery, I HAD to use this new design from Urban Threads. It's totally perfect for my video-game obsessed 8 year old. But then little Skoober saw the finished product and said, "Is that shirt.... kinda like mine?" I had to break it to him gently that it was not, in fact, a shirt for him, but he could wear this one when he's older!


Pattern: Ottobre 2/03
Embroidery: Urban Threads

No comments:

Post a Comment