You congratulate yourself for getting this far without screwing anything up. And then you start sewing.
For me, this fabric was a piece of embroidered border print that I picked up last year sometime. It wasn't particularly expensive, but I LOVED it. Adored it. Everytime I looked at it, I got goosebumps. I decided to use a pattern that I'd made before and really liked, Simplicity 2642 (the view in the middle). I sewed the entire thing up, tried it on, and .... was crestfallen beyond belief. The fabric is a little stiff due to all that embroidery, and the sleeves stuck up in a very silly, shoulder-pads-on-steroids kind of way. It looked terrible. I couldn't just take the sleeves off, because the sleeves and the bodice were all one piece. Well, what to do now?
After much agonizing (and some cussing), I just cut the offending bodice off and slapped a yoga waist on the thing, making it a skirt. Definitely not the look I was going for, but I sort of salvaged it. The problem is that the skirt portion of the dress does not make for a fantastic drape when in standalone skirt form. I'm soooo bummed, though. So bummed.
Onto happier sewing news. I also sewed up some of my mosaic floral rayon jersey that I stock in Bamblue Fabrics. This has to be one of the most comfortable dresses I've ever worn. The fabric itself is buttery soft - it feels so wonderful against the skin! I just love how this one turned out.
Pattern: Butterick 4789
Very nice pattern, no surprises or anything like that. The twist is quite easy to do, and I love the effect. And I didn't have to hack the dress apart and reinvent it, which is always nice.