Sunday, January 16, 2011

School Auction, Part 2

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been sewing some clothing to donate to our school's auction in March. My plan was to make an older boy's shirt next, but I was having trouble deciding on fabrics, embroidery designs, etc. As usual, I turned to my favorite blogs for help, and was reminded of Willow & Moo's gorgeous Hilde shirts she made for young boys. I couldn't help myself: I needed those shirts for Scoober! I mean for the auction!

Only problem was, I don't have the Farbenmix Hilde pattern. It's not too far off from the Imke, which I do have, so I just modified it a little. Actually, the amount of work that went into that slight modification was ridiculous! I first tried to use the stand-alone Imke pattern. I traced sized 98, which is what Skoober wears now. Well, it was just enormous. HUGE! I kept holding the pattern pieces up to him, and kind of squinting to see how these could possibly fit. I went so far as to cut out the fabric, and realized this was just not going to work at all, especially as I will have to do another set of these for the auction winner. Presumably, the winner will want clothing that actually fits the child!

I decided to try the Imke pattern that came in the Sewing Clothes Kids Love book. I first held my size 98 piece up to the equivalent piece in the book - it was about 2 sizes larger, in both width and length. Crazy!

Anyway, that was a lot of blah, blah, blahing to talk about a couple of shirts. Enough!
Pattern: Modified Farbenmix Imke
Embroidery: Huups

I was originally going to do just one shirt, but then it occurred to me that one shirt doesn't sound very exciting as an auction item, so I decided to make a pair. Here is my second one:


Pattern: Modified Farbenmix Imke
Embroidery: Kunterbunt

This one gave me some trouble. I had originally stitched out the Superhero on the front using different colors. After all was said and done, I didn't like it. I sat there, staring at this shirt front, which I had already pieced together, topstitched with decorative stitching, and embroidered. And hated it. I groaned inwardly, but decided I had to do it over. This was the original:


I think I made the right choice.

The funny thing is, I have no idea how much a couple of boy's t-shirts will go for, auction-wise. I mean, I know a lot of people go crazy and spend fortunes on their daughters' wardrobes, but boys' t-shirts? It's hard to justify paying a lot of money for them, since adorable t-shirts can be purchased at Target for $10 or less. But, I hope people will get into the spirit of the auction (it is a fund-raiser for the school, after all) and at least bid on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment