Saturday, April 16, 2011

Zucka

I kept seeing all these amazing skirts on Flickr. This one, for example, and this gorgeous one too. I decided to stop drooling and just make one already! Which is a little easier said than done. The pattern has twenty-odd pattern pieces to it. The instructions list (in German) the pieces needed for two different versions of the skirt. The illustration on the cover shows two versions: a miniskirt and a regular length skirt. Not being able to speak much German other than the basics, I foolishly assumed one pattern piece list was for the short version, and one for the long version. Wrong! I must have stared uncomprehendingly at all those pattern pieces for a good 40 minutes trying to figure out if I was tracing the right ones. I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to make the long version. All the pattern pieces for the two different views seemed the same length!

Shaking my head at the futility of all this, I just added an inch to both the flounce and the underskirt and called it a day.

It was only much, much later that I finally found an English description of the pattern on the Farbenmix site that explained the two sets of pattern pieces were for the average size child and for children of more "stocky statures." If you want the skirt to be longer, you just need to make a bigger size. Ahhhh. I see.

Anyway, when all was said and done, I had this skirt, which turned out pretty well, I think!



Pattern: Farbenmix Zucka
Embroidery: Huups


The pattern is a little time consuming (all those pieces! All that topstitching!) but it goes together really easily. I will definitely be making more of these!

And in other news, I also made this:
Pattern: New Look 6936

This is such a great pattern. Totally brainless, a total of 3 pattern pieces, I think I only used about 1.5 yards of fabric, and start to finish it took about an hour. Love that!

3 comments:

  1. Is that knit? Hmmm, I may be needing more fabric to make one of those. It looks so comfy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim - Yep - the New Look pattern is for knits, and yes, it is very comfy! And sooo easy. If you aren't used to sewing with knits, this is a good pattern to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your skirt. Can you tell me where you got the pattern because I've been looking everywhere

    ReplyDelete