Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Paris je t'aime


To say I've been busy lately would be the understatement of the century. I have 3 kids, two jobs, and wonderful machines that sit around all day and tempt me with promises of a crafty good time. I don't get to indulge my creative needs nearly as often as I'd like, but I give in to temptation at every possibility. It helps when friends and relations have babies or need a birthday gift, as then I can indulge without feeling too guilty!

My lovely niece had a birthday not long ago. I gave her the link to Huups and told her to pick whatever she wanted. Thoughtfully, she chose the very embroidery set that I had been dying to try - Bonjour Paris. I love everything about this set, including the absolutely spectacular bag made by Anja in the design examples. I normally try very hard not to copy someone else's design elements so overtly, but her execution of this was so flawless I couldn't help myself. She takes all the credit for these! 

I made one for my niece and one for my daughter. I carry the stripe in Bamblue Fabrics. The twill tag is birdie-stamped with fabric ink that I heat-set with an iron.
 

Pattern: Lotti
Fabric: Red and Gray Cotton Knit from Bamblue Fabrics

My niece's birthday was also an excellent excuse to play with my Cricut machine and do some card-making. I made the "Love" card using the Groovy Times cartridge. My kids made the other three using the Wrap it Up cartridge. So much fun!

 For a long time, I had purple in my serger and given my ridiculous lack of free time, I didn't really have an opportunity to change colors so I strategically set up purple sewing projects. Two of these did not turn out very well so will not be pictured here, but I do like these. To make them, I took advantage of the new purple-y bamboo colors I have in stock at Bamblue Fabrics, which are divine. 

Pattern: Ottobre 1/12
Fabric: Deep purple, aubergine, lilac and almond bamboo jersey

This one is a Burda pattern that I previously made using my chevron crochet knit fabric - you can see that version here. I was originally going to make my new version in bamboo jersey, but I used up most of the jersey I had ready to go in my daughter's dress, so I decided to try it in bamboo french terry. I was concerned the terry might be too thick for this double layer top, but I love the end result. so soft and cozy! I wear this constantly on cool days.

Pattern: Burda 8/10
Fabric: Aubergine and Lilac bamboo french terry from Bamblue Fabrics

My sister has recently been blessed with not one but two new grandsons! Pouncing on the opportunity to do some much-missed-and-sentimentalized baby sewing, I whipped up a couple of NCBE's. Good heavens, I had forgotten how quickly and easily these come together. 




I loved the fabric combinations so much that I decided to make a few shirts my Skoober. I also used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out some heat transfer vinyl. I've had mixed results with this stuff in the past; the vinyl kept peeling off in the wash. I finally figured out this was because I had used fabric softener when washing the fabric after purchase, and it was affecting the adhesive. I re-washed my stripes without it, tried again, and boom! Problem solved.

Pattern: Farbenmix Quiara


 Image: Four cars
Pattern: Farbenmix Quiara

 A friend of mine needed a birthday gift for a mermaid loving girl, which meant that I finally had a wonderful excuse not only to sew, but to purchase this mermaid embroidery from tausendschoenes.com. I already have several mermaid embroidery designs, of course, but how could I possibly resist this one? Love it!



 Pattern: Farbenmix Henrika
Fabric: Turquoise bamboo jersey and red wavy dot supima cotton,
both from Bamblue Fabrics

And finally, we have some more fun-with-the-Cameo sewing. I love the variety of images one can find at the Silhouette Online Store - so many great options, even for older boys. I thought this rock star smashing a guitar over his head would be "cool" enough for my 3rd grader. Again, I used two colors of heat transfer vinyl for this.

Pattern: Ummm..not sure. Possibly Otto, possibly Farbenmix
Image: Rock Star
Fabric: Yarn dyed hemp from Bamblue Fabrics

OK, I think I'm all caught up now. Next on my sewing table is a Modkids dress for my grand-niece and a Farbenmix Elodie for my daughter's Easter dress. Which I sincerely hope I can finish before Easter!

4 comments:

  1. A ridiculous amount of great sewing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Humps a place to buy the computerized directions for machine embroidery or the already complete appliques? Is there an English translation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I forgot to get back to you on this Kathy! Huups is a site for the digitized embroidery files used in machine embroidery. They don't sell the complete appliques, but there is an English version of the site (just click the British flag).

      Delete
  3. I really happy to be visiting your blog. Thanks for the share.... Keep posting such an interesting information.

    ReplyDelete