Sunday, April 22, 2012

Burda 7828, Vogue 1224 and Simplicity 3503

Now that my part time job reading applications to graduate school is over for the season (yay!), I have a lot more time to sew (double yay!). I've been getting in some seriously drool-worthy fabrics for Bamblue lately, and could not wait to get them sewn up.

I started with Burda 7828. I love the idea this pattern: a mock wrap dress pattern that does not leave you vulnerable to sudden gusts of wind. I tried it first in this supremely soft supima cotton fabric and loved the look and fit so much that I made the top version in hemp right afterward.

Pattern: Burda 7828
Fabric: Floral Supima Cotton Knit from Bamblue Fabrics

Here's a close up so you can see the pretty fabric:

And here's the top version. I did lengthen this one by 1.5-2 inches, and I'm really glad I did.
Pattern: Burda 7828
Fabric: Asian Turquoise Print in Hemp from Bamblue Fabrics

I have a lot more of these planned: short sleeve tops and long sleeve dresses, sleeveless versions...this will definitely become one of my go to patterns.

I also wanted to give Vogue 1224 a try, as it made the Best Patterns of 2011 list on PatternReview.com. For this one, I used the floral burnout supima cotton. This stuff gets so incredibly soft after you wash it - it is  just as soft (dare I say it?) as bamboo jersey. I'm pretty sure this is what a cloud feels like! This being a burnout fabric, the pattern was perfect because there are all those gathers in the bodice and the bottom part is double layered. 

I'm not totally sure at age 40 I can pull this off as a dress; I just can't see myself picking up the kids from school wearing this. However, it makes a great beach/pool coverup, or I may wear it with leggings or denim underneath. I decided to leave the bottom unhemmed, as the fabric curls rather appealingly.

Pattern: Vogue 1224
Fabric: Floral Burnout Supima Cotton from Bamblue Fabrics

Finally, I really wanted to make some things to take on our Kauai trip which is coming up in a few weeks. I thought Simplicity 3503, the halter view, would be the perfect choice. I used this polyester print that I've had around for awhile, as I thought it looked suitably tropical.

Pattern: Simplicity 3503
Fabric: A poly knit from my stash

Well, that's it for now. I've got a ton more patterns lined up to sew for Kauai, although how much I actually get around to is up for debate.

2 comments: