Monday, August 1, 2011

Sewing in summer time....not a great idea

I am most definitely a summer girl. I HATE being cold. Even our relatively mild Northern California winters are too much for me, and come January I start getting very impatient for July (makes me really fun to be around for six months out of the year - just ask my husband!).

Despite my fondness for summer, there is one thing about it that just does not work for me, and that is sewing. I have 3 kids, and when they are all around sewing is pretty much an impossibility. I've been pretty disatisfied with most of the stuff I've sewn the last few months, and it finally dawned on me why: when I sew, I need to get into the groove, or all hell breaks loose, sewing-wise. When I am constantly interrupted by children who are bored, hungry, thirsty, irritable, need a diaper change, or are fighting, my sewing pretty much goes into the toilet.

So, last night after the kids went to bed, I decided to sew. Now, I know what you are thinking: why don't I just give up the whole sewing-while-the-kids-are-home-and-awake thing and sew at night? Well, the fact is that by then, I'm exhausted. Literally, just bone-weary. It's all I can do to drag myself into bed most nights. Even sewing a straight line is usually beyond me, let alone a whole garment.

But somewhat miraculously, I found myself with some extra energy last night, and decided to give it a try. My daughter has been begging me to replace a much loved but way too small Janie and Jack embroidered white french terry hoodie that she wore constantly when she was 4. Since I know stock bamboo french terry in white, I really had no excuses.

This fabric is such a dream. You really have to feel this stuff to appreciate it (if anybody wants a sample, just go to Bamblue Fabrics on Etsy and contact me). I am so much happier with my sewing this time around!

I love having the kids home so we can go to the pool, water parks and the beach, but my sewing is very definitely looking forward to the start of school!




Pattern: Ottobre 1/04
Embroidery: Huups

1 comment:

  1. Only 3 weeks to go, not that I am counting! I am so looking forward to it too! Adorable hoodie by way. : )

    ReplyDelete